Sunday, September 25, 2005

Site Maps: Acting as Guides to your Site For the Search Engines

Consider your website as a tourist spot that you would want people to visit. And consider the search engines to be the tourists who want to have a great time visiting your site, not missing out the important landmarks there and then tell others about what a great place your site is by indexing it. The question arises who will act as the tour guide to provide all the important information as well as routes to your tourist place? If you ask me, I would say-The Site Map of your website can perform this role perfectly.

Basically, a site map is a page or a collection of pages all linked together that includes links to every other page in your site. If you want the search engines to find all the pages of your site, you need to have a good site map that allows the search engines to spider every single page of your site. What you do is, provide a link to your site map page from your homepage, so that there is no need to provide all the links to different pages of your site from the home page itself. The idea is that more the links on the homepage, more the time taken by search engines to spider your whole site. Also as and when your site grows with passing time, you cannot put all the links on the homepage, otherwise the homepage will look like a cluttered collage of links, confusing the visitors as well as making it difficult and time consuming for the search engines to index your entire site.

Infact site map can be an excellent navigation system for the information hungry visitors and relevant content hungry search engine spiders. Though the most ignored or neglected part of web site building, site maps can be a very valuable tool for getting higher rankings for your site in lesser time.

http://www.segnant.com/

7 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dropped in to look over this post because I wanted some info on website linking strategies. Some of the stuff on your blog gave me some ideas N alie - thanks. I'm particularly looking for information and ideas on
website linking strategies, so feel free to visit and leave a comment or even submit an article. The back links will help both of us. Bye for now.

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site, it deals with stuff like, click here: 0-start ups and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdo and your valued opinion.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my way...

Later, Scott ;-)

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey N alie...
How did you get your blog to be so good? Originally I was out trying to locate used surf board related information, but your post ' this post ' got my attention and stopped me in my tracks :) Glad I found you because I'm trying to improve my site about used surf board and your blog here gave me some excellent ideas. Thanks N alie for the good read and I think I'll mention your blog to my cousin (if that's okay...)

Keep up your effort ~ and good job.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

N alie,

I took a look at your post
regarding link exchange .

You are invited to place a link to
your blog on our website for free. See:

http://www.quickregister.net/infowizards


We get over 18,000 visitors per day.
Many are looking for link exchange
related products and services.

We have a specific category for link exchange .
Your listing will be spidered by the search
engines under link exchange . Our pages
are made to be search engine friendly.
We hope you take a moment to take
advantage of this free advertising.

Cheers,

John

http://www.quickregister.net
Free Search Engine Submission Service.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi N alie, I read your post which I find interesting and very informative! I was also looking for related info which I found
Some at pos system
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

 
At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi N alie

When I saw free people finder I had to read a little more.

Later,

adwords equalizer help

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi N alie, I read your post which I find interesting and very informative! I was also looking for related info which I found
Some at People Search
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home